Friday, September 2, 2011

Mormon Helping Hands

Every year we participate in African Mormon Helping Hands, a day set aside for us as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints to give service in our community, along with other  members of the community. We do so because we love to lend a willing hand, serve alongside the members of our ward, and make stronger friendships. This year we all went to the East London Child and Youth Care Centre - Glen Stella Campus to beautify their gardens (aka dig up trees and haul out debris) to make it more presentable and for the 60 orphaned children to play in. 60 orphaned children. My heart breaks.
As usual I was given the assignment to take gazillions of photographs and write a report on the service project. Unfortunately I was also suffering the effects of flu, so I wasn't all together 'with it' as I meandered about collecting quotes and photo's. J however put on his bright yellow gloves and got to work. After all was said and done, EL 3rd ward accomplished the Helping Hands theme: Love Given, Love Received.

2 comments:

  1. What an incredible experience!! Living in Utah wards don't go out of their way to put together service projects because there are so many in a ward (our ward has over 700)and I suspect because there are so many mormons around. But this totally motivates me to talk to my husband and plan something with a group of friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out Pres Eyring's 3 suggestions for picking a service project in the May 2011 Gen Conf. issue Ensign. They really help! Good luck! You can make a difference!

    ReplyDelete

Express yourself!