Saturday, May 28, 2011

Thank you Eskom

I had plans for Friday, really I did. It included shopping for vases and other chotchky's (most likely from Pep - lol). And then Eskom decided to switch off our town's electricity for the whole afternoon. With one plan shot, I desperately needed another. So, pray tell, what do YOU do when the power goes out?
As I type this post I can just imagine my ancestors shaking their heads, chuckling and saying with a look of pity in their eyes, "You'd never last a day in our time!"  
First thing I did like any smart person was take stock of what I could/couldn't do without electricity. And folks, let me tell you, options were limited. J was at work, neighbours outta town...leaving me...bored. For some reason I have grown so accustomed to the buzz of electrical current that I needed noise. Suddenly with a surge of genius (this is getting interesting now isn't it?), I turned to the music on my cell phone. Turns out I only have 3 songs: 'Waka Waka' by Shakira, 'Wave your flag' by who knows, and a Taylor Swift song. Clearly the last time I uploaded songs to my phone was during the FIFA World Cup...last year.
And so out of desperation I listened to said songs not once or twice, but nearly 10 times. Yes, I now know the Waka Waka song off by heart. Care for a preview?
I was so bored I cleaned out my closet, which usually looks like the setting of WWII. After decluttering the bane of my existence, knackered out and no place to go, I did what any other person would do .... and wrote in my journal. Exciting. At this point I did make a few observations:
  1. I only have 3 pages left in my journal... a journal I've been writing in since 2007...not so impressive now is it! ha! So I'm on the hunt for a new brilliant journal worthy of my thoughts/feelings/ramblings. Any ideas where to find said worthy book?
  2. I have 5 t-shirts. Where have all my clothes gone??
  3. Discovered I do own socks - 4 pairs in fact.
  4. What would I cook for dinner if the power never came back on?
  5. How many people would be ordering take aways tonight?
  6. Why was the power off?
  7. Its getting cold...time to sit in the car...
  8. Wait, why am I so dependent on electricity and technology and hearing constant noise?
  9. I thought I learnt about being prepared for disasters and instances such as these.
  10. Clearly I'm not.
Reality is, its time to brush up on the basics, invest in more board games, write in my journal more often, upload more songs to my phone's playlist, and move to Bunkers Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself!