Thursday, August 23, 2012

Africa Mormon Helping Hands

This rolls around every year...and every year we love doing it even more...and we learn powerful lessons from some very small souls.

Once again our ward spent a morning giving service to the Glen Stella Campus of the children's orphanage. 
We got stuck in weeding, digging holes to plant trees and washing line posts, uncovered stairs under a pile of sand, and planted veggies in their veggie patches. Our R.S also handed over 2 bags worth of handmade blankets for the children. 

In order to protect their identities, we shan't post any pics of us with the kids, but here's a shot of J putting forth great effort to dig a hole in that hard hard ground. 
At one point I felt as though I may cry my eyes out watching those little girls and boys run around, test out the gardening equipment and help us pat soil around a just-planted sandalwood tree. It almost broke my heart to see one little girl sit on our bishop's lap and with her little hands, lift his arms around her. Little arms who probably don't get many hugs.

But my heart was comforted as I saw the expression on their faces. These little souls who have started out life with such heartache and difficulty are the HAPPIEST children. And in an instant I was taught a lesson well worth learning: there is joy to be had in every difficult journey. I am sure our Heavenly Father is comforting His little ones day and night as he works out a plan just for them. 

We both left feeling humbled and grateful for our lives. our families. our parents. our trials.

There really is joy to be had in every difficult journey. 

1 comment:

Express yourself!